- All courses...
- Write beautiful prose
- Character-Driven Plots
- Powerful Character Transformations
- Access restrictions
- Free for students (join or login!)
- Free for a limited time
- Premium lesson
- Premium course
- Coming soon!
Your hero's backstory is more than just a collection of memories and experiences. It is a powerful tool in your writing skillset, and a strategically crafted backstory can even help you break through writer's block. In the How to build a Breakthrough Backstory playbook, I walk you through the 6 steps that will simplify and focus your writing time. Stop chasing plot bunnies and writing random scenes, and zero in on the choices that matter most.
Early access for subscribers starting July 4
Coming soon to Storysmith U.
Character is the heart of story
When you start writing at the heart of the story, you miss out on all the possibilities that can trickle down from the heart of the character.
In this series of articles, playbooks, and the final course, you'll learn how to funnel the breadth of your character's life experiences into the depth of the story you want to tell.
Good character-driven stories should always start with character, and I'll give you the tools you need to craft memorable, dynamic heroes that will captivate your readers.
- The foundation of this learning series starts with the Powerful Character Transformations collection of free articles on my public website.
- My playbooks will guide you through how to connect all those little bits of knowledge into focused strategies for each step of building your character profile. See the 2022 playbook release schedule below.
- Then, in my signature course, you'll learn how to apply everything you've learned to your own work so you can start creating captivating characters readers will always remember. The Creating Captivating Character Profiles course is coming this November.
Here's what's coming this year:
Plot is built on character arc
In a character-driven story, the hero's journey of transformation is the backbone of every major plot element. I often see authors get so caught up in how to the story that they forget why those story pieces matter.
In my Character-Driven Plot series of articles, playbooks, and the final course, you'll learn how to identify the critical moments in a character's story, translate those moments into journey milestones, then construct a tight narrative that hits readers right in the feels.
Stop fixating on GMCs and plot elements in isolation and learn how to tie them all together into one cohesive writing process. Once you experience just how quickly the Story Snapshot Method can simplify and focus your first draft, you'll never go back to traditional plotting (or pantsing!) methods.
- The foundation of this learning series starts with the Character-Driven Plot collection of free articles on my public website.
- My playbooks will guide you through how to make strategic story decisions and avoid common storytelling pitfalls. See the 2023 playbook release schedule below.
- Then, in my signature course, you'll learn my super simple and incredibly powerful technique for transforming your character's growth arc into a rock-solid Story Snapshot you can build your manuscript on. The Story Snapshot Method course will release next July.
Here's what's coming next year:
Style is the heart of your voice
Line-level style editing is one of the most difficult skills to master as a fiction writer. It takes more than simply learning a rubric or plugging words into a formula. Understanding when you should not break the rules and when you should is the key to writing striking prose that sets your storytelling voice apart.
Line editing is one of my favorite areas of writing to dig into, and I am creating a series of playbooks and courses (several of them!) to show you how to develop the linguistic foundation and grammatical expertise that will elevate your prose from meh to memorable.
Step by step, you'll learn what mistakes to avoid, what principles should guide your decisions, and which techniques will unlock your personal secret sauce.
The first course, Bombshell Verbs, will release this July.
Not sure what line editing is? Start here.
Here's what's coming this year and next:
July 11, 2022